Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Daydream Planning

It's the morning and I'm getting ready to go to work. While I feel quite fortunate to have a job, it's always in the back of my mind, and often in the forefront that I'd rather be doing something else. For the past few years, I've been thinking about starting a bohemian-like lifestyle.

This bohemian lifestyle would hopefully involve travel, balloon twisting and learning experiences. I imagine biking around the country, visiting new places, twisting balloons as needed to earn extra money, but generally living as cheaply as possibly. I'd camp, couch-surf, do work exchange, volunteer or whatever to get by. I'd document my experiences and try to stay as connected as possible.

My feelings of responsibility are holding me back, but I'm also thinking that it might be the more responsible thing to go ahead and take the plunge. I probably just need a push to go and do it and that is starting to look like organizational changes at my place of employment. When I first heard that they might to layoffs, I couldn't help but imagine the changes that I would make if I were cut and I wasn't upset.

Naturally, I could always make the choice myself, but I feel like I have financial obligations and requirements that I'd like to fulfill before becoming a bohemian. Hopefully, in the next month I'll get to see what develops at work and can make the next steps in my plan.

What kinds of risks have others taken? Did everything workout in the end?

1 comment:

  1. My advice would be to bust your butt paying off your student loans (or anything else to which you may be financially enslaved), then DO IT!

    Even if it’s just a couple months – you are at a golden time in your life when you can try this stuff without screwing up your life (or anyone else’s).

    I don’t think you will ever regret giving it a shot. I think you would only regret if you don’t.

    ReplyDelete